In Physical Education is an integral part of the curriculum that is inclusive and engages all pupils. We want to ensure that all children are physically active for sustained periods of times, which inspires all pupils to achieve their personal. All children will be able to participate in competitive support. We aim to building a passion for the subject that will lead them to fulfil happy and sustainable lives through being physically active.
P.E. is a progressive curriculum which ensures all children have a chance to expand on their own personal development. Through P.E. lessons children will be equipped to cooperate and collaborate with others, as part of a team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. Swimming and water safety is taught throughout KS2 and extra opportunities are taken to ensure children can achieve the national average of swimming 25 metres. Use correct technical terminology with confidence accurately and precisely, building up to using this throughout their time at Gwladys Street.
- Teachers ensure two hours a week of physical education are taught through discreet PE lessons; active learning taught once a week; the daily mile.
- Teachers use other tools in the classroom such as Supermovers and Go Noodle
- Children have the opportunity to be taught by specialist PE coaches/teachers.
- Inter school competitions across the year as well as competitions within school each term in a variety of sports.
- We encourage children to be involved in after school sporting clubs eg. cricket, tennis, badminton, yoga, football.
- Termly swimming sessions for Years 4, 5 and 6.
- Residential visit is planned each year.
- Healthy lifestyle is taught and celebrated.
- Teachers use the scheme Real PE to teach PE elements.
- Sports Premium funding supports the CPD of staff to teach high quality lessons, which includes lunchtimes and empowering pupils as play leaders.
- Children take part in Healthy and Wellbeing initiatives eg. Walk to School
Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at Gwladys Street C P and N School, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
Within our lessons, children are taught about self-discipline and that to be successful you need to take ownership and responsibility of their own health and fitness. Our impact is therefore to motivate children to utilise these underpinning skills in an independent and effective way in order to live happy and healthy lives.
We want our pupils to have a love of physical education to increase their well-being.
Children are able to swim at least 25 metres by the end of year 6 and self-rescue skills.
Teachers use PE Passport to support next steps and assessment of children’s ability to track their progress.